Friday, November 7, 2014

Blessed by PBA Annual Meeting

Last night's Piedmont Baptist Association meeting was a great experience.  I really enjoyed seeing several people that I hadn't seen in a while, some in ten years!  What's not to like about being among people who truly are "friends in the business" of Christian ministry and outreach?  Especially when they come up to you, remember your name from years ago, and genuinely express interest and best wishes for your work!  Not to mention the encouragement of knowing others who are not only plodding along in pastoral ministry, but also who are active and intentional in support ministries that reach our church members outside of the walls, encouraging them during the week.  The (sort of selfish) take away from all this is that I'm almost certain to reduce the feelings of isolation that have dogged me during ministry.  If I will plug in firmly to this family of Christians to which I obviously belong, God will use them to help me stay encouraged.  Unhealthy isolation is no good in any context; and it is abundantly clear to me that in pastoral ministry it leaves one wide-open to big time discouragement.  And we all know where discouragement leads.  Will you help hold me accountable to this PBA family?  Will you consider taking an active part in locally cooperative activities along with me?

Also, this meeting was historic in that it was the first time the annual meeting has been hosted in a predominantly black church. This enabled us to have a likely unique worship experience with the St. Paul's Youth Choir.  One concern that was expressed openly was that many on the 2015 leadership team are sporting bald heads (on purpose mostly). What does this mean? 2 Kings 2:23 says "Go on up, you bald-head! Go on up you bald-head!" but in this case let's hope for much different results as a truly cooperative PBA impacts the Triad in every way, in every nation, every neighborhood, and every neighbor.

No comments:

Post a Comment