Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Is the Bible Too Complicated for You?

I had a friend one time say, "Why can't I just believe it?"  Perhaps they were saying they wanted to have faith in God through the Bible.  I wish.  What they were most likely saying was "Why do I have to understand what is in a particular passage and struggle to apply it in a valid way?" 

We want to wear armbands and wave flags.  The Bible is one of them.  "I believe the Bible" has been a cover that enables unscrupulous people to shut down further inquiry from those who would make them accountable.

Christians have to be more responsible, more enlightened, and yes, less simplistic.  Many a Pastor has been matched with an unsuitable church by smiling real big and saying, "I have Jesus in my heart."  No further inquiry necessary.

I challenge people to remember that they aren't the first ones to read the Bible.  They aren't the first human in history to ask any particular question of the Bible.  And, they aren't the first one to answer the question arising from the reading.  Humility is in order, and lots of it. 

Below is a link to an article that may challenge your preconceived notions about interpreting Scripture. 

3 Wrong Ways to Read the Bible

Read for inspiration and embrace Truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment